Course Outcome Assessment and Attainment:
Each subject has Course outcomes (COs). These COs can be mapped with POs & PSOs based on Intended Learning Outcomes and Performance Indicators given by AICTE Examination Reforms.
Each COs can be assessed using Direct assessment tools that reflect the knowledge level and skills of the students based on their performance in Continuous Assessment Test, Assignments, Tutorials, Concept Test, Rubrics etc. This Direct assessment is taken to attain individual Course Outcomes (COs).
• The process starts with framing a well defined Course Outcomes for a course.
• Course Outcomes are derived by framing Intended Learning Outcomes (ILOs) for each unit.
• Each ILO is mapped to a relevant Performance Indicator (PI) and Competency Level (CL) derived for each Program Outcome.
• With all the Indicators mapped to each Unit/ Module, Articulation matrix is derived. A sample CO-PO mapping through ILO and PI is given below.
CO Assessment and Attainment process:
• The finalized CO-PO articulation matrix was taken.
• Set Attainment level (Target) is fixed for each course.
• The Target will be fixed by considering the class average marks obtained in SE of previous batch or analyzing the nature of the course by distinguishing whether it belongs to Analytical / Theory / Problematic course or Targets are approximately given into certain levels, 3 being the most common number of levels.
• If the target is taken as the class average then the average is normalized to maximum of 100 is taken as a target. For example, if the class average marks obtained in SE is 7.1 out of 10 Grade points, then the Target will be fixed to 71%.
• Depending on the learning level of students, target will be fixed by the concern faculty handling the course by following any one of the above said options for fixing the target.
• If a course is newly introduced in the curriculum, then the Target will be fixed as 60% by the concern faculty handling the course.
• Each CO is assessed with the tools chosen by the course coordinators.
• Each tool will represent the scores secured by the individual student and the attainment level for each CO is calculated by measuring the percentage of students scored equal or more than the Target fixed for that course.
• The attainment levels are set as given below
||60 % of Students scored equal or more than set attainment level (Target)
||70 % of Students scored equal or more than set attainment level (Target)
||80 % of Students scored equal or more than set attainment level (Target)
• Attainment level is measured in terms of student performance in Continuous Assessment (CA) with respect to the Course Outcomes of the course in addition to the performance in the Semester Examination (SE).
• The final attainment of each CO is measured by taking 40% of CA attainment levels and 60% of SE attainment levels.
• As per the regulation R-2016, the normalization percentage will be considered for measuring the final attainment of each COs of a course. For theory courses 40% of CA and 60% of SE will be calculated. For Laboratory and Project courses 50% of CA and 50% of SE will be calculated.
• As per the regulation R-2018, the normalization percentage will be considered for measuring the final attainment of each COs of a course. For theory courses 40% of CA and 60% of SE will be calculated. For Laboratory courses 60% of CA and 40% of SE will be calculated.
• The CO attainment for the course will be calculated by taking the average of all CO’s final attainment value. If the Final Attainment of the Course outcomes are equal to the target, then all the course outcomes are attained else not attained.
• If a course failed to attain the set attainment target, then action to be taken for continuous improvement will be suggested by the course handling faculty.
PO & PSO Assessment and Attainment:
PO assessment tools are categorized into Direct method and Indirect method. The final PO attainment is calculated by taking 80% of the attainment values from Direct assessment method and 20% of the attainment values from Indirect assessment method.
Once the overall attainment percentage of each COs is calculated, the PO and PSO attainment is calculated by taking the cumulative average of all the course’s CO attainment which contributes to the specific Program Outcomes and Program Specific Outcomes.
The overall CO attainment values are calculated for all the direct assessment tools. For theory and practical courses, For R2016, Overall CO attainment is calculated using the following
Overall attainment of COs (Theory) = 0.4*CA attainment + 0.6*SE attainment
Overall attainment of COs(Practical& Project) = 0.5*CA attainment + 0.5*SE attainment
For R2018, Overall CO attainment is calculated using the following
Overall attainment of COs (Theory) = 0.4*CA attainment + 0.6*SE attainment
Overall attainment of COs(Practical & Project) = 0.6*CA attainment + 0.4*SE attainment
Survey reports gathers information about student learning by looking at indicators of learning other than student work output. This assessment approach is intended to find out about the quality of the learning process by getting feedback from the student, employers, and exit surveys of graduates.
PO Assessment & Attainment Process:
• Once CO-PO mapping of all the courses are completed, the cumulative average of mapping to all the PO and PSOs are analyzed and Set attainment target will be fixed for each PO and PSO as 3.
• Through Direct Assessment tools, achievement of each PO and PSO will be calculated by taking the cumulative average of all the courses which contributes to each PO and PSO.
• Through Indirect Assessment tools, achievement of each PO and PSO will be calculated by focusing the questionnaire in the survey forms and student portfolio which contributes to each PO and PSO.
• The final PO attainment is calculated by taking 80% of PO and PSO achievement from Direct method and 20% of PO and PSO achievement form Indirect method.
• The obtained values will be compared with the set attainment target fixed for each PO and PSO.
• If the target is achieved, then the same process will be continued for further batches.
• If the target is not achieved, then continuous improvement action will be taken for each PO and PSO.
• The results of evaluation are discussed in PAC & DAB meeting. Based on the attainment, the improvements to be done are discussed among the members.
• Continuous improvement action includes Action to be taken for improving the teaching learning process based on the attainment gap or by improving learning facilities or organizing programs to fill the attainment gap.
• If both the above said actions will lead to no change in the attainment of PO and PSO, then curriculum / syllabus will be ratified/ revised and the same will be forwarded to Board of Studies for approval.
• Types of suggestions for improvement/ action to be taken that can be implemented are,
• Revision of intended learning outcome statement (s)
• Revision of measurement approaches
• Collection of and analysis of additional data and information
• Changes of data collection methods
• Changes in pedagogical practices (Innovative Teaching practices)
• Use of latest technology in course delivery
• Involving senior faculty members to handle difficult topics
• Inviting guest lecturers from academia and industry
• Revision of advising standards or processes
• Suggest modifications in Curriculum and syllabus if required.
• Value added courses, Bridge courses